We all know how the CBSE stays indulged in bringing improved and more efficient teaching resources for teachers and learning material for students. This time, they have introduced Art-integrated Education in the system to impart knowledge to students in a new way.
On March 24, 2021, Hon'ble Minister of Education announced the release of 100+ comic books for students of Class 3 to 12. These comics are created by teachers of CBSE affiliated schools, curated by NCERT, and made available on the Diksha platform.
We, at Educart, did thorough analysis on these comics and here, we have provided you our observations on CBSE Class 10 Science Comic Books. You will be able to learn if these comic books are actually helpful in learning the concepts of the chapters clearly or not.
Here is the table with the so far provided comic books PDFs of Class 10 Science. You can download them to your computer without entering any login information.
NOTE: The three PDF files with an * are split according to three NCERT chapters (Chapter 13 Electricity, 14 Magnetic Effects of Electric Current, and 15 Sources of Energy). If there is any confusion, you can download the combined Science Class X Comic Book(s) PDF file from above.
Before diving into the content of the comics, you will find these things in the beginning:
- Learning Outcomes
- Mind Map
With these elements, CBSE has tried to bring an innovative shift to teaching and learning methods. But won’t the fact that they don’t even cover the whole NCERT book hamper their ability to achieve the same?
Let’s find out with a few Advantages and Shortfalls of how reading these comic books will actually help as far as the curriculum/ board exam 2022 is concerned.
- Engaged Learning: Although these novels are poorly designed, students may find the overall presentation fun and imaginative to read. They will be able to visualise the concepts of the topic or chapter. This will provide a strong recall value for those provided topics, allowing them to easily remember and answer related objective questions.
- Real Life Situations: A few instances within the storyline present some important topics of a chapter with a connection to real life experiences. This helps the students understand the purpose of the story and how it is connected to the learning outcomes of the topics/ chapter.
- Summarised Content: Each comic book provides storyline, mind maps, precise character sketches, learning outcomes, and glossary to give a brief about the content in the graphic novel. Some of these elements may be beneficial for students as well as teachers (as useful teaching resources).
- Practice Questions: The students will also have some fun solving the questions like crosswords, word grids, MCQs, etc. provided at the end.
- Distractive: These books are supposed to be used as supplementary content for easy learning but some students can get distracted and spend hours reading all these mini books. Yet, they would not gain any better understanding of the provided topics than what NCERT textbook has to offer.
- Insufficient Questions: Even though the questions provided in these comic books are fun, they are totally not based on the CBSE paper pattern. Questions like crosswords, word hunt, etc. will not help the students to practice case-based and MCQ questions based on the new pattern. Only some comics contain A/R-based questions.
- Not Enough Chapters: So far, the teachers and students only have chapter 12, 13, and 14 according to the NCERT textbook. This is simply not enough to add value to the students’ study material. If CBSE wants the teachers to adopt this comic book as a learning material, they must at least be available for all chapters.
- Inconsistent Pattern: CBSE teachers will not be able to change their teaching style for just a few topics presented in these comics. Also, the students already have a lot of study and examination material available to learn from. These comic books would only lead to inconsistency and confusion in their teaching pattern.
We hope this information helps you to decide if the CBSE Class 10 Comic Books are effective for learning the chapters in Class 10 Science curriculum better.
If you would like to add more value to your study and learning schedule, you can actually buy a proven more useful book, that is bought by more than 34,000 students already for the academic year 2021-22. That is our EDUCART CLASS 10 SCIENCE QUESTION BANK FOR 2022 EXAMS. This latest Educart Question Bank is a complete solution for exam preparation with new pattern chapter-wise questions, Toppers corner and Sample Papers.